Thursday, February 21, 2008

My quest to rid the world of the term "Crusader"

As many of know, the name of my school newspaper is inappropriately named "The Crusader". One of the goals I have given myself before leaving this icky place is to eradicate that term! So I wrote a letter to the editor last week! I'll paste it at the bottom so you can read it. This week there were three responses to my letter. One saying, you are dumb, and the term Crusader is fine. One saying that it is politically incorrect and we might as well just change it, and then and editorial from a staff writer saying the word really means to seek truth. I've talked to several people on campus and our chaplain even said IN PRINT that he thought the name should change. But my roommate has been doing some editing for the paper and she said the faculty advisor is adament about keeping the term Crusader...so what do I do now friends? Help me. Petition? Make a stink? How? Help!

This weekend I'll be at Grand Valley doing my Model Arab League thing. I wrote two draft resolutions, one for creating a coalition for a unified government in Palestine and the other for rewriting/amending the Arab Peace Initiative of 2002. It should be a great time! Ok, I love you all, and please give me feedback about what the next step should be!

A Letter to the Editors:
I am writing this letter on the behalf of those who feel that names, titles and words carry power. When we were little we used to sing a little limerick saying, “sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.” We were wrong—dead wrong. Words carry power, and I especially believe that the written word carries much power—hurt and to heal. There is one word, in particular, that hurts me when I hear/read it, and it is the word “Crusader,” –yes, the beloved title of the newspaper in which you write, edit and publish.
It first became a ‘four-letter’ word for me as I traveled to the Middle East the fall of 2006 for my study abroad semester. Nearing the end of my semester, my group (25 students, all from Christian colleges and Universities) got together with a group of young adults from Islamonline.com, an information station for those looking to discover more about Islam. We watched the movie, Kingdom of Heaven, a movie depicting the Crusades and specifically the Christian raid to protect Jerusalem in the 12th Century. I wished that those from Islamonline had used sticks and stones because that was how I felt watching that movie with them. Watching the characters distort the image of Christ and even killing in his name sickened me in more ways that I can recount. The Crusades are a dark part of our Christian past, one I felt I had to apologize for to my new Muslim friends following the movie. It is a part of our history, but not one that should be immortalized in print weekly.
From my understanding of the Bible, Jesus would never condone killing in his name, as is evident from Jesus’ words to Peter in the Garden after Peter attempts to save Christ and cuts off the guard’s ear, “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (John 18:11) Perhaps it is time for Christians today to put down their swords as well, by beginning to eradicate the popular use of the term “Crusader,” as it carries only negative and disobedient connotations.
As we are moving into a more Politically Correct world we see derogatory terms disappearing everyday, “Indians”, “Redskins”, “Chiefs”, and finally the newest one “Beaners.” In an attempt to become more PC, marketing companies are becoming more conscious in choosing multi-racial actors and not stereotyping products as ‘Black’ or ‘White.’ If there is something fundamentally wrong with terms such as “Redskins” and “Beaners” then there is also something fatal in the term “Crusader.” As a Christian university, we should be leading the movement of replacing hurtful words with loving ones. It should be the Christ-followers who advocate for adding value to all peoples and groups. However, since we are not leading perhaps it is time to follow the rest of the world, lay down the sticks and stones, and begin using names and titles that evoke love of all peoples and cultures.

Respectfully,
Mandy Paust

6 comments:

Becka said...

Mandy,

I am so impressed with your letter! It was beautifully written and well thought out!!! You go! I think your idea of a petition is the best way to go. You might want to find words that carried no meaning before, but have negative connotations now. You started doing that with listing words, but if you found some that were more neutral in their original meaning as well, such as the word gay. Remember it's the little things that count. Sometimes the best way to influence people is slowly one at time! I wish I had half of the charisma and drive that you have! Good luck Mandy! I hope you get the name changed. I also hope that you protect yourself while you do it.

Tory said...

i love you mandy. stupid crusaders. even wheaton's thunder mascot is better then when we were the crusaders.

Anonymous said...

Mandy I'm so proud of you.
I don't have any real suggestions just encouragment... you are asking the right questions and I pray that people will start to listen and struggle with the answers.

excellent work Mandy.

Micah said...

Good work Mandy. : )
I'm not in any real position to give advice about this because I'm not sure that I myself have had much success in getting change to occur. But, one thing that my counselor told me recently (this morning actually) was that "if you want to be heard, you must speak softly." I think that your letter does just that. It speaks the truth in grace. So, you are making a step in the right direction. I would recommend talking to the faculty adviser to the newspaper and expressing your thoughts. Maybe he has some good points. Im pretty sure that his points aren't as good as yours, but still, he might have good reasons. It might help to point out that Wheaton changed its mascot like Tory said. I remember when it changed.
Also, it would be good to come up with a new title, an alternative. People like Crusader because it means truth seeker?!? Give an alternative that means roughly the same thing: "The Lantern", "The Light" or how about something like "The Pilgrim" or "The Pilgrim of Truth." Ok, now it is getting corny. But, sit down with some friends and set up a brainstorming session where you propose alternative names. Then, when you find the perfect name, start a petition, talk to the President of your college, host a showing of the movie "Kingdom of God" and have a discussion afterwards about the crusades. Show the historical flaws in the movie (there are a few) but also talk about the truths that we can glean. Does your campus have a film club? Advertise, encourage profs and students to come, etc. Also, work on getting the profs on your side. They know their history. Ask them if they think that it is appropriate. Maybe Dordt is just spoiled with profs who are very reasonable in every way, but my experience with profs is that they will listen to your ideas and maybe even help you out.
There... that was a lot of advice from some one who said that they didnt really have any to give. :)
Best of luck,
Micah

Micah said...

I meant, "Kingdom of Heaven" not "Kingdom of God"
Sorry...

Anonymous said...

Mandy, your letter is so well written. Really. It is an impressive piece of work--inviting conversation without alienating, citing several GOOD reasons to change the name that draw from a bunch of different rationales and values.
who makes this decision? Is it all in the hands of the editor-in-chief or advisor? Petitions might help influence them. Publicity in local papers might help, too--I don't know what newspapers you guys read in Jackson, but they might be interested in following up on the story of a student trying to undertake a cause like this. Negative attention with the community is a great way to get the school to act! Kind of underhanded, though, maybe.
i'm proud of you for taking this on! I know it's been irking you for years.
We need to catch up! I miss you, and keep wondering what part of the globe you'll be hanging out on after graduation. We should chat.
mwah!
Alissa