Saturday, May 24, 2008

Seeking Wisdom

I need your help on a decision I have to make. I've been offered a job (two actually, but the other I already turned down), with Americorps VISTA. VISTA sets up college grads to work within an NGO for about $10,000 a year and a close to $5,000 education award at the end. I have to decide to turn down or accept this position by Tuesday morning...YIKES! The job is in Lansing and it's with an organization in Michigan that encourages civic engagement for college students. I would be overseeing about 10 people who are also VISTA members but are living on college campuses setting up service learning opportunities. I originally applied for that position, but they had already filled up, so I interviewed for this one and they offered it to me.

Here are my problems: little money, not a great location, and something that has recently bothered me...the job is not exciting. I don't count it meaningful in the way that I'm reading to the blind or even helping people better their position in life. I would be acting as a leader and liason to help other leaders liason their way to helping college students do community service. It's so far removed from the ground, that I feel like I won't feel...needed, valuable. ya know? Is that dumb?

Here are the positives: not far from home or my friends from school, a good transition place, the education award helps with the loans, I could have the next 12 months decided--which would be a huge relief. and, I might be living and working with one of my best friends from school

Help me gang. You know me, I trust you. Help me. Be objective and help me decide--take it or leave it?

I love you and envy all of you with the means to return to Cairo. =) much love.

1 comment:

margie said...

Hey Mandy, I don't by any means want to tell you what you should do, but I know from my experience leadership positions to be incredibly rewarding. I love being able to match people's gifts with other people's needs. I don't know exactly what the job entails, but it is only a year. But if you feel really anxious about it, perhaps it isn't the place for you. I just wanted to assure you that while leadership positions are very different than directly helping people, you can make a huge difference in people's lives. I'll be praying for you!