Friday, April 11, 2008

Next week in...Cairo???

Hey bisen...so this is TOTALLY unlike me which is why what I am about to tell you is so funny. And sort of scary and unprecedented. But just a couple of hours ago I bought tickets to go to Cairo for a week. The week before our finals week and by graduation to be exact. "Why?" you might ask...well, that's an excellent question. There's this conference that my teachers recommended for me to apply for (the Global Young Leaders Summit) and once I got in everyone was really really encouraging me to attend...and so here I go. I can't believe I just spent $1000 to be in Cairo for a week...

All that to say is...I'm going back to Cairo in, like, a week!!!! Basically I get three days to hang out before the conference...so I'm trying to plan out really cool things to do: see Dr. Dave and Diaa and the MESP students, visit my host family...What I really wish I had right now was the Croc. All I really knew how to do when we were there was study. What to do in Cairo with three completely free days...

Let me know your guys' thoughts!

In other news, it looks like I'll be in Palestine in the fall. I am applying for Birzeit University's International Student Program (Palestinian and Arab Studies Program) and I am in communication with a bunch of different people about jobs/volunteer opportunities in the area. I'm super excited...though I still have no idea what I'll actually be doing...it's exciting to know that I'm just going. Again, scary because I feel like it's totally and completely in God's hands...but good. I'll write a better update later. Graduation in a month!!!

Wish you guys were coming with me to Cairo!!!

Tory

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tory, that's amazing!! Tell us all about your week in Cairo--and congrats on going to Palestine! I'm so excited for you.

-Alissa

Becka said...

I'm really excited for you Tory. I second Alissa in that you need to tell us all about it when you return. I am also excited to hear that you are going to Palestine next year! What wonderful opportunities! I look forward to hearing about your trip.

crazyquaker08 said...

One word...JEALOUS...Tory I am green with envy right now, but I am pumped about your opportunity. Do not leave a single detail out when you report back to the group. I know I will be going back, but not soon enough. Until I go back I will live vicariously through your experience. Let Dr. Dave and Diaa know that I will see them at the end of August inshallah.

-Julianna

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy said...

AAAAAHHH!!! I love it!!! Cairo for a week...ride the metro but remember always the women's car! =) oohh darling, I hope that it brings back all sorts of memories for you and that it can be a cathardic (sp?) and healing experience!

Much love!
Mandy