Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Makes you proud to be an American...

I have a childhood friend who is in Iraq right now with the Marines. Recently a friend of his (also in the Marines) posted on his Facebook wall saying:

"btw- i saw a bunch of guys who got blown up in the back of a pick up truck the other day. it was funny because i said to myself "wow, they're having a bad day but my day is pretty great." then the next day i see a dead puppy and i almost cried. ps- those dead guys hated jesus."

What sort of military do we have that lets people like this join up? This guy represents ME to Iraqi citizens!?!

It is possible to attempt to explain this soldiers perspective by pointing to the fact that he is under a lot of stress. I want to be sympathetic. But, if he is under so much stress that he is no longer able to see the value of human life, then the military should be doing something to help him deal with his stress. Look at what war has done. It has turned us all into monsters.

A wise man that I deeply respect recently told me that he wants the Department of Defense to be run by a pacifist.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

I have friends in the millitary that are the same way. I remember when one of my friends signed up (2002, 2003ish) he wanted to "go get me some towel heads". Yet he never understood why I found that offensive.

Now one of my best friends has become a neo-nazi (has a swastica flag in his appartment and everything) and goes on racist tirates all the time.

It's hard for me to love and pray for these people, but that is what Christ calls us to.

Becka said...

It hasn't turned us into monsters. It has just given us the opportunity to show who we are.