Monday, July 9, 2007

More Mesp Memories

Ok, I listed some random happenings from our trip and I got some positive feedback from some people. I have some more. But, I would also like some of you to join in. If you can think of an awesome incident, post it.

- Gummies in Jerusalem
- The time that Hawthorne ran into a car and put a huge dent in it while playing soccer in Galilee :)
- Ashraf's smile
- Altay's jokes
- Singing Christmas carols while descending Masada
- Singing Christmas carols while journeying through Hezekiah's tunnel
- The fact that Kareema always made popcorn for our breaks (and sometimes ice cream too)
- AiEEEEEEEEEEEsh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The call to prayer
- The thousands of disgusting(but sometimes irresistable) cats who lived on our street
- The coffee which we were given in Syria for Abuna Athanasius' talk on Orthodoxy
- Tea made without tea bags
- Lots and lots of mangoes
- That papyrus painting that I got conned into buying... of my "mother"...
- The baby shower for Mariam
- Bathrooms that had holes in the ground instead of real toilets
- Dancing (in Siwa, in the hotels, on the Nile Cruise, on the bus...)
- The long walk to and from the American University
- Devotions
- The devotions where we sang Sunday School songs
- Standing on top of the Austrian Hospice, looking at the Dome of the Rock, Al Aqsa Mosque, Lion's Gate, Damascus Gate and The Church of the Holy Seplechure (sp?)
- Eating Turkish Delight and finding less delightful than we had hoped, but still pretty good
- Apple Tea
- Camel? Camel? Camel?... all the way up Sinai
- Nutela
- Bishop Thomas (does anyone know how he is, by the way?)
- The fact that crossing the street was the most dangerous part of living in Egypt
- Ana Fora, especially the encouragement circle

Well, that is all that I can think up for now. Please contribute your own memories. I like being nostalgic every once in a while. :)

14 comments:

Matty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matty said...

thanks for that memory...looks down sheepishly

matt said...

our sahara campfire and freezing under the camel blankets

...and when greuler sang his star wars/mcdonalds song with all the motions.

Mandy said...

-Flat five share circles
-Nahed's dancing
-Geem "I will KILL you!"
-Abby belly dancing
-watching a settler's march with a view of the dome of the rock
-Fein eh---how terrible! haha
-throwing up host family food =)
-singing, jumping and laughing at the Krac di Chivilre
-getting yelled at by angry, Palestinian women
-me yelling at Jon about his white, male attitude (love you!)
-shared knowing looks when Grueller and Suz would casually be hanging out


I love and miss you all!

molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
molly said...

oops i messed something up on that last one... fun memories! thanks Micah. you got me thinking...
-denny (aka dennis the menace)
-breast fed cat at host family's
-hanging up clothes with the rooster lady at sisters of charity
-playing in the rain...that one time
-doing a skit in Arabic with Abbie about spectra
-cookies at every meeting!
-nahed dancing to nancy

Micah said...

I remembered a few more.
Steve and someone else (it may have been Deakin) were walking in Jerusalem. Steve was talking to (Deakin) telling him about the Orthodox Jewish woman in front of them. Steve loudly pointed out that the woman in front of them was probably wearing a wig. He then quickly realized that the woman probably spoke English and probably understood every word.

Annother one is the time that Deakin tried to get some film footage of the pyramids and ran into the Egyptian maffia.

Then, there was the cockroach that Phil found in his shirt.

Finally, there was the time that I farted really loudly, in Jerusalem, thinking that no one would be able to hear me because none of them spoke English. A few seconds too late, it occured to me that farts are pretty universal.

olsann said...

molly's worms....

molly said...

anna and mandy looking at my worms...

Mandy said...

YES!! I see those worms in my dreams...

molly said...

i still can't believe i let you two see them...sick dog nastiness! and yes mandy...i see them in my dreams too.

Matty said...

Oh man, I totally forgot about those flies in the Sahara. I don't think a fly has bothered me since then.

David said...

For my service project I taught deaf students at a school with Margie and Tory. My job was to teach computer classes and I thought teaching deaf kids wasn't too hard. Then, half-way through the semester, Margie and I got to help out with Tory's gym class. Dang. I was so thankful for having my students in computer class instead of gym...

Tory said...

yup. those gym classes were some memories for sure. mass chaos and being fairly positive that one of my kids would die.

cuddling with abbie and julia in jerusalem

snickers bar on top of the austrian hospice with abby (gift of the crazy christian zionist from the hebrew book store...he was thankful that i tried to restrain bekah from killing him...or something like that...)

thanksgiving dinner in jerusalem (looking for chocolate at night...tofu something and peanut butter cookies at the orthodox jew's house)

flat 2 dinners.

canadian thanksgiving and our sweet hand turkeys. dena's sweet potato thing.

matt loosing his nalgene. then loosing his nalgene again. and again. then finding it in petra at the sacrifice place.

the stupid fire cracker things during aeed.

oh man.