Sunday, July 15, 2007

My House Got Struck By Lightening

So I had an 'interesting' experience tonight....please read this story with more of a light hearted tone than a serious one. I wanted to share with someone my exciting story, so I thought I would share it with many people instead.....

Tonight began...eerie to say the least. I went into my room with a creepy feeling that something bad was going to happen; that is to say, not something terribly bad, but the feeling that something queer was going to take place tonight. I did not give it too much thought. Instead, I blamed it on the storm.

This afternoon it started thundering. No biggie...right? Well, we knew it was going to be a big storm by the sound of thunder (it was a long, deep and dark sound that resonated within oneself). As the night went on the thunder continued...finally we could see lightening...then a while later the rain began. It was a storm seemed that came straight out of a Harry Potter novel....(just think of those storms that they have...anyone seen the fifth movie...”there's a storm coming Harry. We better get ready for her. Actually to be quite honest that storm wasn't that bad literally speaking figuratively different story). Anyways, our house got struck by lightening (or so we think)...we are still trying to figure out exactly what happened (was it lightening or a small explosion..sounds crazy I know or what not all have possible explanations behind them believe it or not), and we probably won't know the full story for several days. Luckily, we are alive and our house has survived. Praise be to God. Back to the exciting story...so when I got creeped out...I did anything any person feeling a little nervous in a storm would do, I went to get a flash light, and turned on the tv to see what the weatherman thought about the lightening and thunder. That was when it happened. Big boom!!!!! (my ears are still ringing and that was several hours ago) coinciding with the electricity going out and a loud siren going off!

All I could do was sit there and think o shit I really don't want to have to leave the house in this storm. As I go up the stairs...all I can think of is it's the fire alarm!!!!! (You might be wondering I am going up stair right now....I have to to find my family...and discuss what to do). These fears are seemingly confirmed when I get to the top of the stairs, and I smell what seems to be an electrical fire. Luckily, I don't see smoke, so I do what anyone else does in a crisis.


I go down stairs, find the little wheel of crisis that the federal government gave to us, turn it to fire, and let it tell me what to do.

Anyways...back to the real story...my little sister is now having a panic attack (shaking in a violent odd manner that quite honestly freaked me out), my youngest niece is balling, my mom is trying to act as nothing is wrong, my dad is walking around smelling things (frantically I might add), and my oldest niece looks as if she has seen the bloody ghost of Christmas past or whatever. First I calm down my sister, and get my nieces down stairs. I put my youngest niece in charge of the flash light which calmed her down a bit. My sister....she continued to freak. I failed at keeping my parents out of the attack (come on seriously people...there might be something up there and you want to open the damn door!!!!! What happened to common sense 101?! if there is a fire you want to keep it shut up!) I finally convince my mom and dad to let me call the fire department and let them investigate the fire. I calmly call 311...which transfers me to 911 (exactly what I didn't want to happen....grrr) which led to an interesting discussion with the 911 woman of what is your emergency...welll..er...i'm not wuite sure its an emergency....

The men arrive to investigate several houses in our vicinity. They find that there is some strange heat stuff going on in our attic and recommend to keep the a/c off (I know some of you normally keep your a/c off all the time...but for tx i don't know anyone who can survive with their a/c's off during the summer...I must question if David could though.....). So we don't really know what we lost. here's a quick count...all of my sisters electronics (which is prob. worth well over $800-1000), the control circuit, the a/c, three computers, tv, and we'll have to see what else. Luckily for us, all of these things are replaceable, and in the big scheme of things hold no value of importance. Interestingly enough, it seemed that whatever happened it knocked some of the paint of my sisters walls...or whatever (her room is covered in a white powdery substance weird i know). All in all, it was an eventful evening that left me in want of an ant-acid, wine and/or advil.

1 comment:

Micah said...

I had a freaky experience that same night! I woke up at about 4 AM to a strange sound coming from my window (I sleep in the basement). It sounded like someone was in the window well trying to get in through my window. I quickly turned on the light to let this would be robber know that I was there. The sound stopped. I began throwing pieces of candy at the curtain to the window to let the robber see that his "victim" was awake and "armed." I then left my room and proceded to turn on every light in the house. I also woke up my mom. (my dad and sister are gone, my dad in Grand Rapids for a study break and my sister in South Africa for a choir tour). We went down to my room and got up the guts to look into the window well to see if the robber was still there. To our surprise, we found that a possum had fallen into the window well and could not get out. I spent the next hour and a half trying to get him out with a ladder and other things... fun at 5:30 AM... :)