Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Dordt

A lot of things have been happening here recently.
We had Tony Campolo visit as well as a few big time environmentalist Christians. It was pretty cool.
Emily has been organizing some pretty cool things. She spearheaded a protest on campus against poverty. 160 people showed up. We made the local papers and the next morning's news. It was pretty sweet. Emily also organized a trip to help distribute Thanksgiving dinners to some people in the area who might not have been able to afford it otherwise. Also, she and another MESP alum (from the semester just before ours) are organizing a fair trade Christmas sale. It is really sweet. I just thought that you would want to know. :)
Our Justice Matters club is also trying to organize a bunch of things. We are trying to get some dialogue going with the administrators about environmental things and some social justice things. Things are really happening.
In terms of my personal life, I am still really messed up. Everything seems so pointless. This is really scary for me. I have always been relatively passionate. That passion has always been directed and focused. There was purpose to it. I’m feeling quite adrift. The things that once motivated me are fading away or else becoming impossible to deal with and nothing is taking the place of these things. It is scary. Am I going to become just one more of those disillusioned college students who doesn’t care about anything because it just hurts too much? I’m getting a lot of professional help, but it is becoming less and less effective.
I think that I just need to get away from Dordt and everything that it represents to me. Maybe then, I can refocus my life and start over from scratch.

Here are the lyrics from a song that I like by Pedro the Lion called Rejoice:
Wouldn't it be so wonderful?
If everything were meaningless
But everything is so meaningful
And most everything turns to shit
Rejoice! Rejoice! Rejoice!
Rejoice! Rejoice! Rejoice!

There is an internship offered through my denomination where I would go overseas to do relief work for two and a half years. It looks really cool. It might be just the thing for me... distance and meaning. I think that that would be a good thing to do before seminary.
Also, I was curious, is anyone interested in a MESP gettogether at my house this Christmas break? If you are interested, shoot me an email so I can pick a time. Or, we can pick a place more central to the Midwest... or even Chicago itself. Start brainstorming.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Micah, Micah. All my love for you, my friend.
I'm heading back to the Chicagoland on Dec. 15th--i'll be there through New Year's Eve. I also heard rumors Mandy might come and take the train down--is anyone else going to be around?

Also, did anyone apply for the Arab League internship?

Tory said...

i'll be around until the 20th and after the 14th.

Becka said...

Go Emily!!! Shape your school into gear you Proverbs 31 woman you!

By the way I totally thought of you in class the other day. In World Civ (which is really western civ) we were learning about Calvinism. I wish you or any of the other Calvanist people could have been there...He was very respectful for an Armenian but he said one thing that was interesting to me, and I wanted to run it past ya'll. He said that since predestination is taught, and that one can tell if one has been chosen through their life actions that the reason Calvinists are so nice is because they are psychologically compensating for not knowing about salvation. What do ya'll think about that?

Micah your transitioning give yourself a break.

I will definitely be in the South for Christmas.

I am hoping to apply for the internship since they extended the deadline to Friday.

Miss all of you terribly...

Kirsten said...

anybody gonna be in cali or utah sometime this next month? hehe

Matty said...

I will be in Indy except from the 21st to the 27th and would love to get together with people over the holidays

Mandy said...

Let's get together! Please, please!

Also, Micah--Tony came here a couple months ago and it was phenomenal! People are still talking about it--and he kissed me on both cheeks!! It was glorious!