Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Philippines and a Journey Home...


Salamat Po! Excuse Po! Thank you Mum, Excuse me Mum. This is what I heard repeated over and over during my time in the Philippines. If you can tell from the pictures I fell in love with the most beautiful people. I love their dark skin and almond shaped eyes. I fit in with height, but as always stuck out with my light hair, skin and eyes. It was so strange for me being in a foreign country that wasn't Arab! I could wear shorter sleeves, shorter skirts and I could look men in the eyes. At first, I wasn't quite sure how to handle the whole situation. I wanted to revert back to the Egyptian mode of walking confidentely but not over-confident, ignoring calls, with my arm through another girl's to show we were not intimidated. Instead I could laugh and joke with our drivers and ask questions to the men if I needed to for my job. It was a strange experience. I can't say I liked Southeast Asia more than the Middle East, but it was different and I still loved it.
My internship was completed, and I can say I'm happy it's over and happy I did it, but it caused some confusion for me. I always thought I would be working for an NGO someday, but this summer made me second guess that. There were some things I just didn't like and didn't get and am not sure I could be on board with. I'm still processing and cold have an entirely different opinion tomorrow, so I'll keep you updated.


IN OTHER NEWS: I'm on the road again! I'm in Las Vegas right now, hanging out with my nephews and plan on hitting the road Monday morning for the Summer 2007 Road Trip ( i need a more creative name--any ideas?) !! I can't decide if I'll go north through Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa or South through AZ, New Mexico, OK. I could make a decision if any of you say: come see me!! (please do, please do!) I would love to stop by if any of your homes are close to my route and don't mind going out of the way a bit. Let me know, call me, email--find me!

I love you all and wish we could all be heading back to Masr in a few weeks...

1 comment:

Tory said...

come through wheaton!! i head there today from the beautiful northwoods. tragic. i would LOVE to see you come through!!!! i love you and i have a letter for you that i've had waiting in my room for the past 6 weeks. hhmmmm.