Saturday, September 22, 2007

Happenings

I have been up to some interesting stuff at Dordt in the last few weeks.
A week and a half ago, I walked up to the front of the chapel just before chapel began (but while people were almost all seated) and took down the flag and took it out of the chapel. That got some flak.
Then, yesterday, I wore a white shirt covered in red food coloring and played dead on the lawn in front of the classroom building for 3 hours during classes. I had some signs up calling on people to work for peace. It wasnt specific to the Iraq war, just war in general. I also got some flak for this, but also some encouragement. I covered my face with a hankerchief in order to make it as anonymous as possible. However, anyone familiar with my body type was able to recognize me at a glance. :)
Appartently, my demonstration helped start a little bit of dialogue. Ive been looking for ways to make this happen for years. It is strange that I am only learning that actions speak louder than words now, after all of these years. :)
Other than these things, my life is pretty much same old, same old. Some days, I am super glad to be back at Dordt. Other days, I wish that I had never seen the place. I go into these huge funks where I completely avoid people for hours (Im in one right now actually). Im aware of the sorts of things that trigger these "episodes" but I have no way of controling these triggers... unless I become a hermit or something like that. But, hermitage doesnt seem to be in my immediate future. For the next 8 months or so, I am destined to pretend to be normal/happy. Im actually getting pretty good at it. I should be an actor.
*sigh* When I see you guys, Im probably going to burst into tears. Im already tearing up now just thinking about it. I miss you all SO much. We will all just sit down in a room together, look at each other, smile and understand. Words wont be necessary. We will speak of course. But, words wont be what unites us again. Mutual understanding on a deapth that words cant reach will make smiles and hugs the order of the day. Ana baheb intoo ya habibeen.
Ma3salema

1 comment:

Jonathan Pinckney said...

dude. I have so much respect for you right now. That was ballsy. I can't wait to talk about it in a few weeks.