Sunday, September 9, 2007

Update and some thoughts

Well, Im back at Dordt. It is going all right. I have my ups and downs of course.
The good thing is that I have had some wonderful opportunities to talk to professors about things that confuse me. That is super.
One of the things that I have been thinking about a lot is the notion of Children of Empire. I talked with Dr. Jorieman (a wheaton poli-sci prof) about this. She pointed out that the fact that I am from an empire does not make my words any less true. She also pointed out that people who are actually living in Palestine (Chacour and Gershom Gorrenberg) are preaching peace as well. "Children of Empire" as a concept is wonderful when it acts as a caution to people going to the Middle East. It is true that we are from an empire and that MOST of our fighting has been done for us. Nevertheless, that does not make our words and our passion for peace any less true. What it DOES mean is that we have to be very very careful. Maybe you all arrived at this conclusion a long time ago... I didnt. I process things pretty slowly... Oh well, mafiish mushkilla.

Annother thing that I have been thinking about a lot is pacifism. I really really really want to be a pacifist. I just dont think that I can. I have had several long talks with Dordt profs. I am no where near a conclusion, but I feel like I am making progress. Good stuff.

Oh, and I was just at the all campus retreat for Dordt. At one point in the retreat, Emily and I got up to do Matt Gruel's song that he sang in Siwa. It was the Pizza Hut, Pizza Hut, Kentucky Fried Chicken... song. We then did the Star Wars version and finally, the mixture.
Here are some pics. Oh, and Matt, we gave credit where credit was due. :)
Here is to you and your knobbly knees. :)

Kentucky Skywalker
















Mc Vader

3 comments:

molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
molly said...

ha! that's awesome!

Mandy said...

the picture is amazingly beautiful and I love both of you. Rock out the pacifism Micah, see my post for some reading on the topic...