Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A roller coaster week and a half

Ok big updates here and a lot of the roller coaster I've been riding the last few weeks.

Last week during chapel was what we call the "Staley Lecture Series" where we have a series of chapels and other events about one particular topic. This year's topic: "How do we talk about the war?" about the war in Iraq.

Monday last week we had the pro war argument. According to him Radical Islam is a bigger threat to the world than Nazism and Communism and they are going to attempt to take over the world unless we do something. Also terrorist groups have no political aims, only religious ones and apparently we would know this if read their stuff (umm...ok) He quoted only logical sounding people on his side and only quote people who insisted on demonizing Muslims (stories of them ripping babies in half for example) for the other side. Needless to say this was a difficult chapel for me to sit through, but thankful I talked to others and many people said they suspected his arguements and didn't buy much of what was said.

Then Wednesday we had the other side of the issue. They chose a pacifist to pull this side of the argument. While I'm not sure I totally agree with all aspects of pacifism he seemed to be very knowledgable and had very good arguments for his side. Unlike the first speaker (who was very passionate and almost violent in his presentation) he was calm to the point of being so boring he might put people to sleep were his topic less interesting. Despite all this, there were about 20 students who walked out in protest about halfway through (grant it he did say some very controversial things that he didn't fully parse out, the big one for example was that Patriotism = Idolitry).

Thursday night they had a panel discussion with these two gentleman, an Iraqi war vet, and a seminary student who is very interesting (much more about him later). The panel discussion was excellent, despite the way the chapels went. We had great turn out and both sides were able to clarify their controversial statements, plus they were able to through the discussion talk about the depth of the issue in the war.

Friday the Seminary student talked in Chapel. His name is Omar Mohammad Abdul Zerkowie (I'm not sure I got it right, but something like that). He is born of a Christian mother from Texas and a Muslim father from Iraq. When he was born his parent agreed that the father could name him if the mother raised him in the church. Omar didn't so much share his views on the war, as much as tell his story and used those examples to explain why he believes what he believes. He told stories of the horrible treatment he got from Christian's his whole life (example after 9/11 the local newspaper printed an article about the Arab at seminary and how we should send him back strapped to a bomb). He also shared how his family on his dad's side is, Muslim mindsets (and how they might not really want democracy). He also shared their reaction when he married a Jewess (yes, he married a women of Jewish decent, this guy is every issue in the middle east in flesh). He backed this all up with scripture. He opened with the story of Hagar and Ishmael to show how God promised Ishmael that he too was important to God and agreed to make him a nation as well. It was absolutely amazing, and even more amazingly he got a standing ovation!

So overall I think that was a good experience for the campus.

Ok next part of this roller coaster. I'm still dealing with culture shock and haven't been sleeping well, plus this, so I'm already on edge. On Thursday I have my worst class with a professor whose views are diametrically opposed to almost everything I believe and teaches his Christianity as "the Christian worldview" and why liberalism is bad IN A HISTORY CLASS! So anyway, I don't like this teacher, but so far, (even after he told gave a lecture where he told the class there is no such thing as race and the idea of seeking diversity is stupid, he then says that we should racial profile Arabs at airports!!!) I have been totally respectful and never done anything other then hold my breath and wonder how anyone could believe this junk.

Well on Thursday last week we were going through the Roman Empire (it's a Western Civ class) and he explained how after the Roman Empire Christianized it slopped back towards paganism and polytheism and told us all about how praying to the saints was polytheism and venerating icons is idolatry. I have been going to the Orthodox church all semester (I'm even crossing myself now) and I at first tried to just let it roll of my back, but he kept harping on it. He was nice enough though to inform us that he doesn't believe they are all going to hell (oh how nice). Well finally I got to a point that I was either gonna start balling or burst out in rage so I thought the best thing to do was to leave class quietly, less disruptive and more respectful. Well I got up and when I went to close the door my hand were shaking I was so angry and I accidentally slammed the door. I was immediately ashamed at the way the position played out, it was not my intention to be rude to a professor in the middle of class, so I immediately sent him an e-mail apology where I explain some of my background and apologized for my actions (though not for being offended, I feel justified in that, actually I talked to my roommate and he actually dropped this profs class after his lesson a few years ago).

So I assumed the issue was over. I was wrong. I went to the College Post Office after chapel on Monday and had a note from this professor. In this note he said that I was extremely rude and was not to return to class until I apologized for my actions and that if I was not intending to apologize then I would immediately drop the class. I'm spaztic at this point, he saw my e-mail and still sent me this?! I need this class to graduate! WTF?! I called the professor immediately, he wasn't in his office, and left a message asking if he received my e-mail, explaining that I was ashamed and would talk to him in person if he needed me to apologize in person. I then had one of my friends check my voicemail in my room and find out that the professor sent that letter before he left on Friday (but dated it Monday) and didn't check his e-mail till Monday morning. He told me that he accepted my apology and welcomed me back to class. So yeah, that's all well and good, but I really didn't need to have a nervous breakdown earlier that morning...

Today I walk into my room and my roomate is on the phone and telling the person on the other end that he knows a guy perfect for the job whose about to graduate and has a heart like his and that he would have him send a resume. Luke was talking to the Head of Informations Technology for the Frontiers (a missions org that works exclusively with Muslims http://www.frontiers.org/) and apparently the are looking for someone to work at their international help desk. From what Luke tells me I can do this from where ever I am living and work from home to do this and after a year they could send me somewhere else. They have positions that range from purely IT guys who just work with computers to Field agents who are missionaries that are very computer literate and help the other missionaries out while ministering. They are 50% salary based and 50% self-supporting. So this sounds like the perfect opportunity for me. I was wondering if any of you know much about the Frontiers? All I really know is they are team based, they work with Muslims, and the stuff on their website, and that Luke's sister is getting ready to go to Yemen with them. If you guys know anything about this group I would love to here what you know.

In addition to that I have a few personal issues that have been going on that I don't feel confident discussing on the internet. So anyway I've been through an odd ride this last 2 weeks. I cannot wait for Spring Break which starts Friday. I'm going down to Orlando with Diana and like 6 other friends. I'm so pumped and so ready for a nice relaxing break.

I hope you are all doing well and I really wish you would have been around for the discussions last week.

God bless!

6 comments:

Becka said...

Yes, I know about Frontiers. I've heard some pretty good things...my professor knows more though. I could do some research on them for you if you'd like.

Bryan said...

You don't have to do research if you don't want to. I know people who are in the process of joining so I can hear from them. I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything already. But you say positive and that's what I've heard so far too.

Steve said...

Just thought I would add a bit. First of all, I really feel for you, Bryan. That sounds like the craziest week ever. It also sounds like this professor is on a power-trip, and I think it would be a great idea for you to talk to him face to face and explain why you were upset. I think you behaved appropriately, and have nothing to be ashamed about. Of course, you also don't want to mess up your graduation plans with a bad grade from an angry proff. If he keeps it un and you feel like he is being unjust, take him to the administration. Stick it to the bastard.
About Frontiers, I have heard mainly good things. I have several friends from my MESP semester who are going through the process, and I have met people in quite a few places who are with them. They are pretty standard as far as Miss. groups go, which is too conservative for my taste, but might fit with yours. If you agree with their statements and purpose, then I think you should go for it. They have a great reputation among like-minded groups.
Good luck, and all my love.
Steve

Sarah H said...

Hey Bryan, I agree with Steve that you should talk to your prof about how you feel, though maybe after you get your final grade (jk). Profs can be such a pain but maybe you should just speak up in class about how you feel and make him responsible for the statements he makes.
As for Frontiers, I know a lot of people who are in the program and they all love it. I have a friend who is working in Western China with the Muslims and he says that even though their missions statement is a little conservative their actual working style is much more accommodating. I have talked to the group before and they always seemed pretty cool but I never go into the details.

Bryan said...

I'm not going to talk to the prof because I know for a fact that other students and the administration have talked to him already and it never does any good. Plus he's retiring (being forced to from what I've heard) after this semester so he won't have a chance to change his teaching anyway. Just gonna grit my teeth and make it thru the semester. Thanks for your support though

Jonathan Pinckney said...

hey, just wanted to give another plug for Frontiers. I have a couple of different friends who have gone on trips with/are working for/will be working for them, and I've heard nothing but good things. They were one of the first organizations in offering relief after that big earthquake in Pakistan awhile back. So, I would say, if the opportunity's there, it's definitely something worth going for.