Thursday, May 17, 2007

Christian Fundamentalism

Before I went on MESP, the one thing I wanted to fight against above all others was Zionism. I hated it, but now I do not see it as the biggest threat. No, no, no. I have changed my mind. I believe Christian fundamentalism is the biggest threat to all of is. When I read the blog, I do not see people asking inappropriate questions or questions that seem to be uncommon to those who are believers, but they are questions that fundamentalists cannot bear to hear.

I do not know how many of you all know what I believe, in fact I don't think I know what I believe. I am okay with that. Do I struggle with it, and does it hurt me at times? OF COURSE! But I am only twenty one years old, and therefore I sure as hell better not know what I believe, because if I do what is the point for the next how ever many years of my life that I have left. I do know I believe in several things. There is no God but God. Jesus saves. Beyond that. Ya, got me. When I was little I questioned if Jesus was the Savior, because what said that He was? Well, The Bible. Who wrote the Bible? People....Christian People. It wasn't until high school and college that I learned Jesus was the irrefutable Savior, and I did not learn that from any book. Instead, I experienced it. (Spiritual Warfare....no fun...avoid it at all costs ek!). Anyways, it was after that event, that I what I read became real to me. Do I still question it ofcourse!

From what I have understood Christians have always considered scripture as divine inspiration...right?! Then how did Scripture become the Word of God?! The last I checked the only Word of God was Christ (John:1)! Also, since when did we start worshiping the book instead of the Jesus?! Since when did we put Paul's words of advice (which he himself even at times say is only from him and not from God) above those of Jesus? Come on feminists in the world! You cannot read Paul and tell me you are completely okay with everything he says! Jesus put women and men equal to each other, and Paul slapped us back down again! (Which poor little man, if you know his history you can understand why he'd be biased).

That is what is wrong with Christianity today. Micah, I would tell that pastor that if worships a religion that is based around himself. We are selfish beings that is what most of us do. I would say Christianity is a man made religion. It is not based on Christ! NO. It is based on laws that we have formed! I believe that humanity cannot handle the freedom that Christ has given us! Therefore, we try to chain ourselves down again in religion! Does this mean that we are free to do whatever?! NO. We have all learned that freedom comes with responsibility, but that does not mean we re-chain ourselves! The laws that Christian fundamentalists have made for themselves have almost no Biblical bases to begin with! They are assuredly not from Christ! That's how I thought we were supposed to judge things was to see if it was of Christ or not! That is the problem with the oppression of women! Wherever Christ is missing there will oppression of women (which is pretty much...hum..well everywhere).Look at the South! Christianity is everywhere! I hear it being preached all the time, but when was the last time I heard Christ being preached?! HUH! Now, Christ has some radical teachings. Which is why no one wants to talk about it, but I believe its deeper than that. When Christ is taken out of the picture darkness sets in. Satan steps into the picture.

All of this is to say. Question Scripture. Question others. Question yourself. Look to Jesus. No one else has the answers. How do you look to Jesus? Good question. I often do it by just talking, screaming crying, and then He makes Himself apparent to me. I don't know how He will develop a relationship with others. That's what it is about. In the end, it's not about the book or this or that. It's about the relationship. If you have a relationship with someone that is strong, then you will follow them to the ends of the Earth...right? Isn't that what we are supposed to do?
So to all of the Christian Fundamentalists out there, shove it where the sun don't shine! I don't want it! Keep your excess baggage and annoying antidotes, I will settle for Jesus.

(Okay, wrapping up the ranting...thanks guys...almost done). All of this to say is, yes look at the Scripture, but the Scriptures are not it. Jesus is it. Look to Jesus. Let Him be your truth. Then you will not be creating your own truth. Jesus will be teaching you what truth is. That's what it's all about.

Also, I thought you guys might find this interesting....I've been talking to a professor about salvation, and he described it in away I really liked, understood and I find to be more Scripturally correct. Okay...this might shake some ppl....Jesus is not the only way to obtain Salvation (story about the sheep and goats...right?) Instead, think of Salvation as an umbrella over people. Then within the umbrella there are different levels. These levels represent ones ability to become close, or one, with God. Different religions will take a person to different levels, but one can never actually become one with God or "know the Father" without Christ. Interesting eh? I'm sure some or most of you have already heard this/know it, but I thought it was nifty. I figured I'd share it with you all.

Anyways...those are just a few of the reasons I am against Christian Fundamentalism...I know it's not very clear. I'm still formulating/processing, but I am already fighting! hehe. If I get kicked out of my school you all know why! hehe.

2 comments:

Tory said...

i love you.

molly said...

oh becka! i miss you and all your fire!