Saturday, April 7, 2007

Advice...Mumkin

Okay, so in the past, ooo I don't know two weeks, I have been presented with options. I hate options I hate decisions. HATE THEM. I so dearly wish we could all some how secretly stop time meet for a while, talk, scream, cry, share hugs, laugh, and then re-enter the world. Anyways...I need some advice.
My school is applying for a grant from the United States government that would allow for inner-faith dialogue. It would pay for ACU professors to go over seas and meet with Islamic clerics for several weeks, and for the Islamic clerics to come to the United States (yes, Texas ek!) for several weeks. This would go on for two years to create community and dialogue between the religions. Fabulous right?! Yes, it is. I have have been asked to help make apply for this grant. If we get it, then well I will have the honor of helping make this process work afterwards (wonderful, exciting honor that will allow me to live in West Texas even after I graduate!). I am excited, but I need help. Do any of you have contacts with Islamic Imams, clerics or leaders of the community that would be willing to travel to the United States (all expenses paid) to participate in this inner-faith dialogue? If you do, could you email me the info. Thanks.
Also, okay this will sound dumb...but....I have to come up with cultural activities that will encourage the building of community between the two groups. As of now, all that I have been able to come up with are well more Texan than Amercian (please give me a break I'm in West Texas! This would be easy if I were in one o fhte bigger cities) as I have now I've thought about..symphonies, rodeos etc. Any other ideas?

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Check out IslamOnline Those people LOVE dialogue! How about taking them to a coffee shop--that's American AND Middle Eastern!

olsann said...

baseball games are pretty american and can be fun if you get cheep tickets, think about how much we loved the soccer game...