Saturday, April 14, 2007

Random happenings

Ok, before I begin, I have to tell you all this. I just found an advertisement online for cell phone ring tones. It was advertising ring tones from the Qoran!!! I wonder if that would catch on in Egypt. So many Egyptians have cell phones... but they would probably think it irreverant.
In other news, Dordt has just had what we call "Justice Week." Emily and I are in a club that tries to promote awareness on campus about different justice issues: everything from the environment, to sex slavery, to genocide. We had a letter-writing tent in front of the classroom building. I worked at the tent, trying to get people to come in and write letters to their representatives. It was tough some times. In the end, I had to use some of the techniques that were used on me (and that worked so well) by those Egyptian vendors. "Hey, come in and just take a look at some of the information we have here. You dont have to write anything, just come in and look for one minute." Of course, once they even set foot in the tent, you have them hooked. There is NO way to get out once you have set foot in a store. Egyptian vendor: "Come in, I will just give my buisness card. You dont have to buy anything, just a buisness card." I was promised a buisness card dozens of times, I never got one, but, I always bought something. I used this at the tent and it worked. : )
In other news, one of our speakers was Jason Fileta. He works with the Micah Challenge. The Micah Challenge works with governments and ngos to end poverty. It was really cool to hear him speak. But, what absolutely floored me was when he talked about his life. His parents were both Egyptian. They attended Caso du bara. Then, they moved to the states and they settled in Wheaton! He grew up attending College Church! Now, he works in close contact with the CRC! So, I got to talk to him about the city of Wheaton and the CRC in ARABIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How insane is that!
Also, he is going to Sierra Leone this summer to help monitor an election. If I dont get to go to Egypt with the State Department to study Arabic, I might be able to go with him! :) Im excited!

No comments: