Thursday, April 19, 2007

while we're on the issue of summer plans...

I think I'll be in Phoenix this summer as the Relief Intern at Food for the Hungry. yeah. I actually am mildly excited about it. I have to raise a TON of money and I'm hoping that I can work in an office. But past the money issues and the whole cubicle thing, it will be a great opportunity. I met with a guy who worked in Bangladesh with the organization and just said amazing things about it. They taught people literacy using the Qur'an. Isn't that phenomenal? They integrated Christianity into the Muslim, South Asian culture.

I'm hoping the people working in the organization are as forward-thinking as that idea. I need to be in an non-oppressive atmosphere this summer. I need people who aren't pretending to go through life as happy, perfect Christians. Instead, I'm looking for people who are struggling with big ideas, questions and not afraid to say--I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Lastly, anyone know anyone who wants to put someone up for the summer? If I can find free housing--man, I will be set! Any church contacts, personal friends, family? I promise to be on my best behavior! =)

ps. Tory, this could be your shining moment--and I want updates--written. let's be the real kind of pen pals that use stamps.
pss. Suz + Matt=Amazing.

1 comment:

Tory said...

Mandy!!!!

I would LOVE to be penpals!! Let's do it! I LOVE getting mail at camp! It totally makes the camp experience. Anyway, how's life? I wish I got to see you soon...I wish we could talk...I wish I could hug you...I don't know why but I feel a strange urge to give you a gigantic bossom hug. I miss you! And I think Phoenix will be great for you too. It's sort of like Colorado. I love you and hope your year finishes up really good...when are you done?