Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In Response to Micah

I do not have much to say, but I want to say two things. The first is that the only thing that has given me hope is that God is working in all situations. It is hard and I will come back to it. The second thing I want to say is that I understand this, but the issues that you mentioned are all man made. I know that this does not explain natural disasters, but then to enter that discussion might take us to the end of our lives to finally come to peace with it. In the case of man made genocides and the horrid and disgusting act of men using children as prostitutes God gave his right of controlling our actions in order for his people to truly love him. One cannot and perhaps should not force someone to love them. For that would not be love by the name that we have come to know it. Love in the sense of investing in each other's life to the point where each person becomes as one. God is always bending towards us. We have to listen through the noise of the world to come through this. This is in fact what I am working on now. Now back to the first thing I said about God working in all situations. I truly believe that God is working. God is working when a Darfur woman who has lost her family reaches out to another Darfur woman who just lost their family despite her own pain. God is working through reporters like Nicholas Kristoff who has risen much attention to the Darfur situation and especially at the child prostitution issue. God is working when a man decides not to use child prostitutes. God is there when people invest in other people. When people care for one another at the expense of themselves. I understand my answer is lacking. It is lacking experience and depth. I wish I had more to give, but I am at the end of my rope for this week. On Friday my grandfather died and I have experienced the grief and joy at the loss my family and I have suffered, but I have also seen much of the love my grandfather showed the world, which has given me much joy and comfort.

Your Brother in Christ,
Matt

P.S. - I will give a quick update on my grad school and summer plans. I am still in the process of applying to grad school. I need to get a few more recommendation letters in and a few other smaller things to turn in and then I will learn in two weeks after all of that is in whether I will be in Philly next fall. This summer I will be in Indiana for three weeks or so in May after my graduation on May 5th. Perhaps some of us can get together.

1 comment:

Micah said...

I agree with the whole "God is present" thing. Im Calvinist. Im fed that every day. But, I suppose that I cant really hear it too often, can I?