Sunday, December 17, 2006

Advent in Togo

Let's see, after about ten minutes of mass confusion, I finally figured out how to post a blog, but now I don't really know what to say. My time in Paris was extremely nostalgic--I haven't explored a city by myself in who knows how long! You would be very appreciative though, as I was wandering about Bellville extremely lost, it was an Algerian couple that helped me find my way, in Arabic nontheless. It was funny, I attended a five hour prayer meeting in french, during which I accidentally let slip an "insha'allah," and all of the ladies responded in horror--"YOU CAN'T SAY THAT!!!" Which pretty much has characterized my time here. Is correcting misinterpretations my goal? I don't think so. I'm trying very hard to listen to the people here, the dad here is very into animism and how to approach Jesus through a multi-cultural world view. Anyway, West Africa is similar to Egypt, but also very very different. I went through a bit of a shock the last couple days though because, to tell you the truth, I'm a bit "cross-culture experienced" out. Well, I'm not quite sure what else to say. We went to an African church this morning, charismatic, but somehow strangely fitting in this culture. The dancing and singing and exuberant joy that was lacking in the Middle East, is appropriate here. Which, of course, makes me rethink all the judgments I made about the west. I miss you guys--here I'm the only one who doesn't speak the language, instead of one of 25! I keep throwing out Arabic when I'm trying to learn French, which is slightly problematic. It seems strange to explore a new culture without you guys, I feel like something's missing. Alyssa, it was great reading your posts, I've been struggling with how to communicate my experience and confusion, and I actually read your poem over the shoulder of my best friend here, which helped. Ok well, I should go. I feel like my first blog was lame but I don't really have time to write more. I have to go take a bucket shower. I can flush the toilet paper though. Anyway, I hope this blog becomes more popular, I want to hear more of your stories! I need to go, but I hope Advent is slightly more Adventy then here...Merry Christmas and enjoy your families!

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I love Tory! Oh, and Tory, here's a few words from our song to keep you going...
Where have all the good men gone, and where are all the gods?
...Isn't there a white knight, upon a (something) stead
Late at night I toss and I turn and I think of what I need...

Thanks for the update Tory - keep us posted on how things are going!

Abbie