Thursday, December 21, 2006

Presentations

Today I talked to 5 middleschool classes about traveling abroad and going to Egypt and various ways of financing it, etc. The first class I talked about Egypt and the travel component and after the first class I stuck to just talking about Egypt. It was information overload before then, even though there was even more information afterwards. I realized after showing pictures and showing how to put on a kafeya that I needed to organize my thoughts to say what was most important for me to express.

Interesting tidbits, when you talk about the pyramids people are interested in knowing if you can go inside. They also want to know if you can climb them. I showed pictures of stupid tourists wearing shorts and non-mentionable apparel and then talked about better things to wear in for traveling. No one believed me and said what I suggested was too hot.

I showed pictures of my host family and kids at the service project. It was good to put a human face on humans in other parts of the world. I showed a 5 dinar to a student and he said King Hussein looked like a terrorist. That was kind of sad. All in all I used the presentations given as a good guinea pig test for future presentations, I'm glad I got started and have my "cool" photos in powerpoint slide order.

Anyone doing anything cool? I've been visiting friends and family in random parts and just putting in snipbits of facts that I think will catch peoples' interest. I miss Kareema's cooking and the exchange rate though. Right now I'm in the process of wrapping presents and making sure I have everything packed for going back to school. I think going back to school is going to be the weirdest back about acclimating back to life here.

I'm thinking about going to Urbana this December if I get it figured out.

Peace, -David



1 comment:

margie said...

hey david, if you come to Urbana you can stay at my house, or at least come see me since St. Louis is where I live. I'm glad to hear you're sharing your stories!