Thursday, December 21, 2006

"Well honey, I hope your education begins to improve"

So today I had the "privilage" of speaking with one of my sister's coworkers. Hes this ass that teaches political science here in Turkey at a private universtiy where he teaches a bunch of Turks!!! He reminded me of the Palestinian professor that spoke to us in Israel... just a little opinionated and one sided. I fear for what he teaches his students... anyway, So the first thing he asked me was, "So, what is your impression of Islam?" I said that I thought it was a religion that I felt I could learn a lot from and that i really appreciated thier strive for pious behavior and that it really was a religion of peace. He then came back at me with all of these Quran verses about cutting off peoples hands and killing infidels and all of this crap. He then told me about how Islam is a religion of violence and that Muhammad was just a corrupt political leader who got people to follow him with renge. I calmly said, "Well, a lot of people believe that." He then said, "ITS NOT A BELIEF!!! ITS A FACT!!!" Then of course I heard about how the Palestinians have nothing to complain about and how great Israel is and its devine. Yada Yada Yada, pulling things out of my ass... I had a few nicely said comments, (a lot calmer and better phrased than my retorts to the Palestinian youth... sorry about that again). The end of the conversation is as follows...

Ignorant Ass: "So, how old are you?"
Anna: "21"
Ignorant Ass: "Hmmm... that explains it" (he gets up to leave the table and places his hands on my sholders... quite fatherly like and continues to say...) "Well honey, I hope your education begins to improve in teh next few years."

Don't you just love Americans! Here is my question... why do Americans that hate Middle Easterners and Muslims live in Muslim countires? Am I missing something here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so bogus. I'm proud of your self-restraint, Anna, but I feel like he probably deserved much worse...