Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Back in Texas

So flying from Cairo to Frankfurt to JFK to Houston to San Antonio was interesting. In Ana Fora some of the crew talked about Harry Potter, and because my flight was delayed and I had a 5 hour layover in Houston, I decided to buy the first book at the bookstore. Well to make a short story shorter, I wound up missing my flight to San Antonio, had to rebook, slept in the airport, and read the whole book that night. It was ok, a little corny. So it took about 60 hours to get back home instead of 50ish.

The second day back I went to the zoo with my sister and her friend. I saw kangaroos and hippos and a tiger, it was really fun. What I found interesting was a water fountain/pool that had several coins in it. I know you can make a wish when you throw the coin in, but why? I wonder what point in history it was decided that throwing coins in water was lucky. Did people use slingshots to kill fish or something and over time forgot about using the slingshot because it wasn't effective and then one day decide to just throw the coin in because they decided to pay for their ignorance for trying to kill fish with slingshots in the first place since it wasn't effective? Looking at the water I began contemplating how many kosheri meals I could buy with what was there. Dang.

Right now I'm getting used to social norms again and figuring out proper eye contact procedures. It's tricky but I'm getting used to things again. I'm glad at least I'm back in San Antonio and can understand the language and stuff. My Spanish is pretty good, sometimes I find myself substituting Arabic words in my head and have to think of what they are in Spanish, etc, but it's going well.

I think I've found housing for next semester, so I'm pumped about that. It's weird to think next semester will be the last semester but I guess it's good. Right now I'm making a presentation of the experiences and making a slideshow. So I'm up for a road trip somewhere this upcoming year, if anyone's interested in going to Canada, let me know.

-Peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming this is David, not Becca, right?
Wow, that whole part about buying kosheri with coins in fountains is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Ah, I miss you guys.

Jonathan Pinckney said...

dude, I hear you about the eye contact thing. A strange woman walked up to me and asked me a question in Panera a couple days ago, and I couldn't make myself look her in the eyes...