Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Life in a bottle

You might be wondering why in all that is good I called this post "life in a bottle". Well wonder no more my friends because, like many things I do, there is no reason. I kind of feel like that is the motto of my life right now: there is no reason.
In case you hadn't caught on I am doing really, really well right now. Life is going well. It feel like have not moved from my sisters apartment in the last, well how ever many days I have been here. Let me just tell you that I am very glad I like her apartment. What would I do if this place sucked.
Why do I sound so pissed off right now? In all reality the only reason I have not moved is beause I am too lazy and don't know the language and don't know anyone who knows the language and I can't say Hi to anyone because, guess what, I always say something in Arabic and then people seem to get this really funny shade of purple and turn away. Hint for all those who wish to live in Israel, DO NOT SPEAK ARABIC TO THE LOCALS, it makes them mad or something.
I finally decided to stop being lazy and go ahead and write something to you guys to tell you about my life so far (and how mush I hate you). Yes, I do hate you mainly because you are where I want to be and that is doing something with your life. You may not think that doing something is a place but I assure you it is. It is a place far way from the couch in my sisters apartment.
Sorry, back on track: my life. So, here I am in this amazing place. Tel Aviv is actually really cool. My sis and a few friends that I just met took me out for an amazing graduation dinner. We then proceded to the best place on earth which just happens to be called Max Brenner and serves nothing but the most decadent chocolates know to man (I had spicy mexican hot chocolate, don't think powder either, think melted chocolate with chile pepper, cinnamon, and other good things). This was followed by drinks, Jazz music and the hope of cute guys that was never realized (one of the friends had too much too early). Did you know that a white russian has like 3 shots of vodka in it? Me neither!
That was my big outing for the weekend. Yesterday was the big outing for the week. I got to show my sister how to shop in a shuk/suk. I have found a place where I can use my haggling skills if not my arabic ones. I got to go grocery shopping my about 4 hours. First, we got to walk about three miles on deserted street (Cairo standards) when suddenly, there right in front of me were people. Oddly enough in the middle of the people was this creature that looked like someone had robbed the costume department of Star Wars and Narnia and then put on stilts. It was doing a dance or possibly trying to communicate (I am trapped, HELP) to the gaukers. This was appearntly a Tel Aviv attempt at street performance, scary creature thing was what came to mind but hey what ever makes you happy. Where was I...Oh yeah: people. So there I was and people were all around, it really felt like home. What made it more like home was my crowd-phobia sister standing behind me mumbling something about killing me for dragging her here. I would like to point out that I did not drag her anywhere, do you remember how fast she walks? Just add a few mph to Dena and you have an idea. So anyway I made my way all to the back of this fruit, meat, and everything under the sun suk for the next few hours scattering warmth and Arabic to all within hearing range.
That is my life so far in this lovely place called "home for a few months". In all reality I miss you guys like nothing else and I keep wondering why I didn't just get on that plane home. it sounds like you are all having troubles adjusting but when every you think you have it hard just remember that I am thinking about you cause I have nothing else to do.
-Sarah

2 comments:

Jonathan Pinckney said...

hehe, Sarah, I love reading this because it is so completely YOU, and with every word I can picture exactly how you would be saying it and what your facial expression would be...and, even if you do want to be over here some times, know that I am ridiculously jealous of you getting to live in Israel...and this place isn't all it's cracked up to be. But you know that...peace

Anonymous said...

Ah, my dear Sarah. I think you should continue speaking Arabic to the locals--if nothing else, it promises to make your life more interesting. ha, and yes--I just had my first white russian of the season, and no, Alissa cannot hold her vodka like she used to. Not that I ever could, but I like to picture myself that way.
Anyhow. If it makes you feel better, I was just pining for Jerusalem and the surrounding areas. Life in Israel is just a bit more consequential, hey?
Keep us posted on what you hear about the developments in Gaza and such. Newspapers can be boring; I'd rather hear what people are talking about in Tel Aviv.
Take care of yourself, Sarah. I miss your sassing.
-Alissa