Friday, December 22, 2006

"Do Egyptians sleep on beds?"

Yes my friends, my grandma asked me this exact question. Not only that but I've gotten questions like "what do Egyptians do for fun?" and "now Emily, you always had a boy walk with you right?" It's quite ridiculous. My parents have been amazing though we have had a couple discussions about salvation, Church, and Israel. They ask me hard questions which have been really helpful in trying to sort everything out.
I've been ask to speak to a current events class at my old high school and also give a chapel speech. If you guys have any suggestions as to topics or things Highschool students at a private highschool should hear let me know, I value your opinions.
Shoot...I really miss all you guys, seriously the pictures are just not the same.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

phil said...

mabruuk on your two speaking engagements, emily. i just now decided i would throw in my two cents. here are my two cents. i think the security fence would be a good issue for you to talk about, especially in the current events class, first because it is current, and second because it is an issue that lends itself perhaps more than others to presenting a balanced view of the conflict, which might be the most valuable thing you can offer whomever you're talking to. the fence issue encapsulates several key issues in the wider conflict, issues that occupy both israeli and palestinian agendas. in terms of the palestinians, for example, the fence/wall issue deals with human rights, freedom of movement, and questions related to boundaries and territory. for the israelis, the fence/wall is about security, which has been their core concern for so long (and whatever else people say about the fence, it has pretty clearly led to a decrease in successful terrorist activities originating in the west bank), and it also deals with israel's ideas about borders and territories and settlements. anyway, this is a little long for a comment, so ill be done soon, but i think any issues you want to raise that let you present more than one side to the conflict are worth talking about. id love to hear how your talks go--you learned a lot this semester and have lots to offer people, im sure you'll do great, but id love to hear just the same. i hope you had a great christmas and are enjoying your time with family. until next time, salaam alaikum...