Friday, December 29, 2006

Random stuff

So just the other day my Dad and I were driving around Charlotte trying to find a used car for me to drive up to school and we stopped by this one dealership where the dealer turned out to be Palestinian! I was wearing the triple Peace shirt that I got in Jerusalem, and he asked if I knew how to say the bottom one, and we had fun after that. It was really nice to be able to throw around some Arabic phrases, and the guy was really happy that, say, when he said: maasalama I knew to say allah yisallimak, so I think it was good for both of us. Too bad he didn't have any cars that I wanted.

Oh, and if y'all haven't seen this, check it out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6215769.stm
It's really sobering, and just a reminder of the necessity of all of us to be doing our part to work for peace.

Anyway, so there's that. I'm doing pretty well...other than getting in a fight last night with my uber-conservative Grandfather, who tried to convince me that: "Islam has always been out to destroy Christianity...you can't trust anything a Muslim says to you." I'm feeling ready to get back to school and have a hookah party with my friends there.
Peace, y'all

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would just like to say that everyone who's been able to have a hookah party sucks. I don't know where you guys are smoking these hookahs, but even with all my heathen friends in Chicago, we can't find anyone's house where they don't mind a little smoke and sheesha smell. Confound it all...
Ack, I'm going back to Seattle in 2.5 days and am trying hard to be strong and courageous (Mandy, I hope you're reading this--my mantra hasn't changed since Anafora) and calm. If anyone is of the praying sort, I could probably use some.
-Alissa

Jonathan Pinckney said...

you got it. Oh, and as far as smoking goes, yeah, my parents have let me smoke on the back porch, which has been sweet. Our only argument came when I was heating my coals on the stove inside and it got a bit smoky