Tuesday, December 19, 2006

So Cal is the weirdest place ever

Wow I miss u all.

I agree with Alissa that church was pretty freakin ridiculous. It fits into our culture here, but I just couldn't get into the remixed christmas carols and the announcer guy trying to be this really cool surfer guy and everyone clapping about such stupid things. Anyway, I decided I'm not going back there (for more than just aforementioned reasons) and I decided that the American brand of church is on the decline.

I went to my Grampa's Christmas party and had my share of drunken uncles and awkard cousins, as Kaitlyn can look forward to. Me and my brother locked ourselves in my grampa's bedroom for like an hour of it but when we emerged my second cousins decided to whip out the egypt jokes, such as, "did the Egyptian mosquito have a little rag on its head?" Wow.

Also funny. I finally got my burrito last night. I stopped at Jorge's for my California Burrito (best burritos in the world in my opinion) and the guy said "gracias" and shokran was the only thing that i could think of to say so I just kinda sat there trying to spit something else out and looking like I was gagging, hehe. Then about the salsa he was like "uno salsa solamente?" and I was like "aywa" with a huge smile. Stupid stupid Kirsten. I guess its good that its flipflopped, in the early days of arabic class I couldn't stop saying "si." Haha, this is what u get.

Mumkin and mish kwayis have also made several appearances. I'm sending our family christmas cards to MESP and to my host family, hehe, also something that is kinda a weird american tradition, esp. the ones with professional pictures of ourselves on the front.

So basically America is just weird, and I'm so glad u guys have posted stuff on here, it makes me feel so much better. I feel a little like I'm drowning in boredom. I went shopping with my mom today because she guilt tripped me into it and its just so weird and fake like. O well. I kinda can't wait to go back to school, but I'm scared at the same time cause I know my good friends will still be there, but how will i interact with all those kind of friends? Also, David, ur analysis of coins in fountains was astonishing to say the least. Luv u all.

1 comment:

Abbie said...

Kirsten! Thanks for blogging - it is good to hear your thoughts. I just wanted to see if you have had any heated political debates with the fam - I know you were a bit concerned about that. How's your mom? I miss you Kirsten, and not touching your butt. It might make you happy to know that I don't pinch people's butts here as much as I did in Cairo - what can I say, I'm maturing. ;-) Anyway, have a Merry Christmas!

Abbie