Thursday, February 8, 2007

egypt is nice this time of year...Lovedrug

Today I feel prickly, like a porcupine. This week has been hard. I was determined to make this week a good one, because I saw ya'll last weekend and I'm seeing Ryan this weekend (a friend from New Orleans). However, Monday came and exploded in my face. I don't know if you've been watching American news but Spring Arbor has been on it recently. The administration just announced they were not renewing the contract of a professor who is transgendered. He came out two or three years ago and started dressing as a woman. He is remaining with his wife and not acting on homosexual behavior yet is violating a new contract that stated he would not cross dress on campus but he has appeared near campus and on it wearing earrings and makeup. So he's being fired and it's the talk of the century. Everyone is up in arms about this man/woman. I do not support what the univsersity is doing because at the root of the problem I don't believe what he's doing is wrong. He's not divorcing his wife, and not acting in homosexual behavior he's still technically a man. He did violate his contract however, and I'll concede that. But I joined a facebook group to the liking of "We support Julie Marie ..." (if you want to look it up) The day after I joined I was called into my supervisor's office. She oversees my leadership position on campus. She told me I had to leave the group because as a student leader I should not be a part of a group that discredits the university. I gave her my reasoning for being the group and she stared at me like she needed to pray for me. The judgement and criticism of my own judgement was apparent on her face. That night I went to a meeting for an AIDS awareness group on campus I'm a part of. I was feeling overwhelmed and had to back out of a comittment and someone was complaining about it, and I ended up shouting "I am just too overwhelmed ok!?" Again, they just stared. No one asked me if they could help, or what was wrong, they just stared. The next day I again incurred many a stare and I'm beginning to feel like a freak. Am I a freak? I am having quite a rough time this week and I just feel freakish. I do not believe I am wrong in my opinions today and this week, but everyone looks at me as if I'm wrong. Oh dear me. I cannot wait for the weekend so I can escape off this campus.


Bottom line: I miss you. I am looking for redeeming grace for my school, friends and professors.

4 comments:

Becka said...

Mandy,
You are not a freak... well actually... (j/k). You are an adorable young woman who is loved by many! You challenge people with your believes. You are talented, intelligent and passionate. DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE CONVINCE YOU THAT YOU NEED TO CONFORM!!! You go Mandy. I miss you and love, and I am only sorry that I did not get to know you better on the trip.

molly said...

wow mandy. people are dumb sometimes. mmmm. i like you. we should have lunch together sometime...that would be cute. ;) that picture is amazing!

Kirsten said...

Mandy, ur school's pissing me off. U should come here every weekend. I'm sorry things are so freakin crappy, and u r deffinitely not the freak in these situations. I agree, never conform! Ur just too cool for school.

Tory said...

i love you so much mandy and last weekend was basically the most incredible weekend post-egypt. it's so strange how God's continued to break down everything we hold to be dear to us, even after we come back to the land of the familiar. I'm not really sure why we are called to hold onto our lives with open hands, but there you have it. I know this sounds lame, but believe me, coming from me means that it is absolutely not lame. I love you I love you I love you. And I am SO sorry that life is hard. But you're right when you said that Jesus doesn't promise easy. But he does promise peace.
Tory.
PS. This week sucked for me too. I kinda wish the weekend never ended.