Sunday, February 18, 2007

this little piggy went wee wee wee all the way home

So I finally made it home. It was a long flight, even longer without your guys around me. Gosh I miss you all. Home is nice if not great but that was to be expected. As promised earlier here is the tale of my lovely flight home.
Note: when going through customs never put on the slip of paper asking where you have been "Syria" because inevitably some sharp airport officer will notice it just when you can see the promised land (a short line in the baggage recheck area meaning you will be able to make that long awaited flight home instead of having to wait an extra 2 or 3 hours). They will send you to the worlds slowest customs officer (who seems to think that the answer to all questions is "put your bags over there and sit") where they will procced to rumage through all your luggage (Dude, do they not see I just came from ISRAEL, as if they could find anything the Israeli's missed) (I should warn you if you ever decide to fly out of Israel the 3 hours early is so not enough) make sure your school exists (why do they ask for information pamphlets from the program you were just on? Do most people try to convince themselves they need to go on the program they were just on?) and then try to have a long meaningful conversation about the world (I mean really, as if I can be nice to someone who just made me miss my flight by 15 minutes. 15! I would rather it have been 2 hours or something!). You will finally make it out of the customs area and procced to the ticketing area (out that way and to the right) where a very nice old man will book you on a flight that is only an hour later than the one you just missed (by 15 minutes). Half an hour later after much niceness and blundering you will make it to the back of a mile long security line just behind about 100 soldiers. Nice to look at but a bitch on security (it's all the random things they forget in their bags, overheard conversation: Youngish soldier to other youngisher soldier "Oh shit I totally forgot to put my extra gun and knife in my checked luggage" "Dude, the sarg will be pissed at you"). Next note to self: flirting can do wonders so can those train thingys in airports, so much less running. When next flight is finally borded make sure you do not talk to the lady with big furry boots, she believes all "Arabs" are terrorist and cannot be convinsed otherwise, this will induce much fuming and silent cursing (I am hoping those great egyptian curses work, boils anyone?). At the end of the next day you will finally reach home and all will be well except for the freezing weather and snowstorm.

I hope all of you guys realize how lucky you are to still be in places where you are confronted with Christ everyday and that you are pushing to find the answers. I feel as though I have entered a no question zone where all the things I learned and questioned for all of college must be put on hold. It just makes life so much easier if I don't tell my family what I actually think about God. They are doing all they can just dealing with my new politics and worldview that anything new with God is just too much. It is hard because I really don't have any contact outside my family. I miss you guys and people in general. This sounds like a total pity party but it is hard going from the world to the end of the world. I want to struggle again but most days I just can't find the energy. I know it will get better for all of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah--wow, good to hear from you again. And while I didn't always fly this flag while on MESP, my true, inner Alissa is completley sarcastic, and I miss having a sarcasm buddy at SPU. Anyway, like I said-- good to hear from you.
I'm confused, though--what prompted your decision to come home at all? were you just not able to find any work, or what happened? Somehow I'm completley out of the loop on this one.
Alissa

sahrasearching said...

Well I guess I could hav etold you guys all that. I have a hard time keeping track of who I have told. What happened was my parents are building a house. This house is not getting done and they really really need help. SO they asked me to come home and help them until June when they close on it. I did actually find work. I got a couple fairly good job offers for teaching in Asia but those will be put on hold until later.

olsann said...

Hey Sarah
I was confused too about why you are home, but I am glad that you got home safely, eventhough it was a bit chaotic... Please kiss a cowboy for me while you are home and I don't know, I'll kiss a minnesotan for you in return if you'd like. I miss you and hope you're doing well!