Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Heresy!!!

Some interesting stuff has happened to me recently. I went to a philosophy conference in Rochester Minnesota called L'Abri. It is in the spirit of Francis Schaefer's retreat in the Swiss Alps. The opening speaker talked about Truth. I want to happy with him. He seemed so certain in his statements of truth. I am struggling with the very questions that he sought to answer and his answers seemed much too simple and easy to me. There were a number of lectures to attend. I chose to go to several on international development and poverty. The speaker who spoke on these topics worked for Food for the Hungry. His emphasis was on the fact that worldview has a lot to do with poverty. He said that societies which do not have a healthy Biblical worldview struggle with poverty BECAUSE their anamist worldview prevents development. He had some VERY good points, but his answer didnt satisfy me very much. Poverty is such a complex thing that it cant simply be conquered by changing attitudes. True, changing attitudes can help conquer poverty, but a biblical worldview is not the panacea. The final lecture that I attended was on Islamic terrorism. I went preparing to get mad. I was expecting the guy to get it all wrong. I was prepared to shoot him down and pop his bubble. The fact is that he got a lot of it correct! He put a lot of emphasis on Sayyid Qutb and emphasized repeatedly the fact that most Muslims are very peaceful. It was good to hear a Christian leader get it right. It was real good. Also, at the conference, I ran into a man who is the head of a theological school in Kenya. It also functions as a medical clinic. I talked to him a lot because that is somthing that I am very interested in doing. I met this man almost by accident. It was quite providential. It was cool to hear about what opportunities there are to serve academically in Africa.
But, it hasnt all been bright and shiny. Today, a close friend of mine, a young man whom I respect highly for his wisdom, accused me twice of being heretical. I was simply asking questions about salvation issues and about the differences between the Christian God and the Muslim God. He accused me of preaching "universalism." I replied that I was actually preaching "I-dont-know-ism" It was tough to hear all the same. Am I a heretic? If I am, am I ok with that? Is asking questions and being uncertain a heresy? I told him that I was using the Bible to uphold some of my questions. He replied that heretics quote the Bible too. What do I say in response? I cant just brush this asside. I respect this guy. He is a wise friend. Oh well, such is life...
Peace

1 comment:

Steve said...

A heretic?! Welcome to the club. I miss you, Micah. Hang in there and keep asking questions.