Monday, January 22, 2007

Brainwashed...!?

So I know I haven't blogged on here yet--sorry! I have to keep up my other blog for monetary purposes through my school so haven't felt the need to blog on here really...sorry again. However, I have been censored in my blogging for my school thus I am blogging on here. (For real, the lady who runs my blog had to talk to me about my Palestinian viewpoints and harsh Anti-American words--thus I am censored and am only allowed to blog about boring stuff like what happened in my last class--not REAL issues in the world.--sorry bitterness abounds)

In other news, I met up with an older professor today who I worked with extensively last year and while we were chatting he brought up something somewhat disconcerting. He was telling me about a girl he was trying to recruit to Spring Arbor and told her she could do lots of stuff at Spring Arbor like travel abroad for a semester. She had apparently been reading my blog and chimed in, "Oh yeah! I've been reading a girl's blog who's been living in Egypt! Is she being brainwashed over there or what?!" I stood in utter astonishment as he told me that "funny anecdote" and starting laughing. I was not laughing, as you can imagine. I asked him what she thought I had been brainwashed about and he said something along the line of the Palestinians. Another blow to my...sanity, I guess. Our encounter was hours ago and I still cannot get it out of my head. The girl asked my prof if he knew me and he said "yes, very well." She asked about my compassion, my lovingkindness and my faith. He confirmed that he knew me to be a loving, compassionate God-fearing girl.

Sorry gang, I am still horrified about her comments apparently. Am I over-reacting here? I don't feel like I am...someone help!

ps. I love you all and miss you very much and am SUPER excited about the conference at Calvin!!!

doorstopper=Mandy

3 comments:

olsann said...

Well Mandy, if I could describe you in three words, they would definitally be uncompassionate, unloving, and unfaithful...... No, you are not over reacting, she does not even know you and it is a pretty big thing for her to make those type of accusations towards you. She seems quite unloving and incompassionate if you ask me. I have been accused of being brainwashed or just jumping on the band wagon of somehting I know nothing about at times myself, even from my own family. It is just something that we need to expect because they have not had the same experiences and life changing challanges that we have had. Don't worry, at least she didn't provide you with three books to read on Israel as my Grandmother did when I got home.... I miss you!

Tory said...

People are lame. And ignorant. And stupid. And broken. Love God. Love people anyway. I love you. That's all I really have to say.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Little One! See, if you were in Seattle, we could be spooning right now, and everything would be better.
Sigh. No, I was just overhearing two girls talking in my school's coffee shop about the culture shock they were having--apparently they just got back from a semester in Chile and are getting similar reactions--and that's a heck of a lot less politically charged. Anytime people come back passionate or with strong opinions based on an experience few other people have had--well, people get freaked out. I'm proud of you, though, for sticking to your guns.
While my apartment is totally decked out and I wear my kafeyya around, I feel like I'm (strangely, I know) being a bit permissive or quiet when things come up in conversation. A lot of "Well, it's complicated..." and smiling and nodding. Like when my prof today saw my Palestine t-shirt and responded "There's no such thing as Palestine. Never has been." and then moved on. I mean, in one sense, he's kind of right. But I just decided not to get into it.
So, kudos to your cojones, Mandy. I salute you.
and miss you. come back!
-Alissa