Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Waxing nostalgic over bessboosa.

Hey kids! Ack, sorry, I feel like I fell off the face of the earth for a while. In actuality, I did not fall off the face of the earth (though I saw an interesting diagram today of ancient Hebrew cosmology in one of my theology classes where such a thing would be possible (whoo, two theology classes in one quarter is an intense re-introduction to Christian college)). I've only been back in Seattle for 9 days, but it feels like a month--in a good way.
Despite my excessive panicking about returning to SPU, living by myself in my cozy and fantastically inexpensive apartment has been great, seeing old friends (including the ex-roommate) has been nice, and while I haven't smoked my hookah yet, I did break all 3 lifestyle expectations my first day back in Seattle. That's good work, even for me.
Ah, but not to be flippant. I am taking two theology classes--one on faith and science (a class on evolution--taught by pro-evolution profs, so it's not too bad) and one on Christian scriptures. I'm really wishing right now that I had a few of you around to process all of this with--if I was holding onto faith with my fingernails in the face of Islam, holding onto my faith in light of evolution and all of the myth-debunking of my scriptures class will be a task. Not that I would support a faith that stuck its head in the sand instead of deal with such things, but I'm just trying not to get run out of Christian circles as a heretic and blasphemer at the moment, and they're just giving me more fodder to be irreverent. I already had to turn in a paper on what I think about the Bible, and another one due on Friday on the Bible's teachings on war (for my history of the crusades class). Anyway. It's good, it's just coming at me very quickly. I miss some late night/on-the-road theological conversations from this last semester.
My history of the crusades prof also has very little good to say about Islam--but he's good about letting me interject from time to time, so it's do-able. In good news, he's hooking me up with a center for Islamic Studies in Granada, Spain, where I can do some research for my senior thesis this summer. I'll let you know what I actually come up with a research topic...
But! I just made Bessboosa, so you know life can't be bad. And since it seems most of the friends I just had over for my Egypt party didn't like it much, I can have nescafe and bessboosa every night, just like Egypt.
ha, which brings me to my next update...I had a colon infection all week. Apparently my scrambled eggs and feyrouz diet for the past 5 months finally did a number on my body. yikes. I'm ok now, though, thanks to some antibiotics.
Alright, kids, that's all I've got. I just put your pictures up all around my desk, so I'm looking into all your beautiful eyes as we speak...
Keep it real, rock stars.

No comments: